https://learn.onemonth.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/1-19.png 581 1035 Chris Castiglione http://learn.onemonth.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Screen-Shot-2017-09-11-at-3.22.43-PM-300x101.png Chris Castiglione2014-12-13 19:07:572017-09-28 19:54:25What is iOS Development?
- Swift is the language used to make apps for iPhone, iPad, and Mac OSX (desktop) apps.
- Why Swift? Well, You don’t really have a choice. Apple decided that part for you. The rule is: if you want to make an iPhone app, and get it into the Apple Store, then you’re going to have to develop it using Apple’s Swift programming language.
- Before you start learning Swift, ask yourself: do you really need your project to be an iPhone app? If not, a prototyping tool might be the quickest way for you to develop a Minimum Viable Product. My first choice for iPhone prototyping would be Keynotopia, but also there are some great questions to check out over at Quora.
What is iOS? How to Learn Get Started Today
- Read Swift vs. Objective-C (5 minutes)
- Download Xcode from Apple’s App Store. Note: you’ll need an Apple computer to develop iOS apps. Windows won’t work (20 minutes).
- Browse the additional resources below, and choose the one that’s best for your next step!
Additional Resources to Keep You Learning
- “The Swift Programming Language” (iBook): published by Apple
- “Start Developing iOS Apps Today” (website): some programming experience will be helpful to understand these two resources.
- One Month iOS: Build an Instagram-like iPhone app, and learn Swift in less than 30 days. With Alfie Hanssen, mobile engineer at Vimeo.